Sunday

Reviews: Admission Consultants/essay editing services in India

Hi People, I have joined many threads to find out this information and found people are as confused as I was. I researched quite a few consultants and below are my findings:

Based in Delhi

1. Genesis, Delhi – Their response was quite assuring to me. They provide assurance of getting you placed in good schools, charging 100,000 – 200,000. They also claim to assure huge scholarships. I think that the claims are just too tall. I got feedback from other informal sources that they only make these claims after scrutinizing the profile of applicant. If the profile already appears promising, then they provide admission and school guarantee. My opinion is it’s not quite honest approach if what I heard is true. It’s like a doctor treating a healthy person and providing a wellness guarantee.
2. Princeton Review, Delhi - They seem to be the most feasible in terms of charges. They charge 32,000 for 5 applications. However when I interacted with the guys, I did not find them convincing enough to do justice to my profile. Also, when I told them that I may apply to 7-8 schools then they were far more interested in money than any other talk. I am not going to enroll with them.
3. Jamboree, Delhi - Gosh! Sky high rates. 30-35K for 3 applications! They do not have full time essay editors. I could not speak with anyone who would be able to answer any B-school specific queries. Personally think that to answer questions like “Why MBA” and “Why this school” you actually need someone who has been through the process and knows about your profile and what schools are looking for. Jamboree is regarded good for GMAT prep though – I will rule out for any essay editing.

Online
1. EssayEdge.Com - Probably the best known online consultants for editing business school essays. Editors are mostly Americans and have their distinct style of writing which might not be suitable for an Indian applicant like me. As per my understanding, in the admissions committee, mostly current students evaluate the applications from their region in the first place. If any Indian would evaluate my application, he would easily figure out that essays have been written or edited by an American. . Essayedge is also very expensive for me.
2. ApexWriters.Com – These are current students and alumni. I interacted with a current student and one admission consultant. When I insisted on speaking with one of the editors, they also put me through a Sloan student. I also interacted with some past applicants, received positive feedback. Apex also offered to edit one paragraph of my essay for free and I was impressed with the critique. I am going with them.
3. Essaylabb.com – When I called these guys, I could not get convincing answers for my queries again. I could not get justification of their charges. Also, they are not the guys who have gone through it …
I have enrolled with apexwriters for one school and after evaluating the services would take a decision on other schools.
Please add your experiences too.
Pls note: These are my personal views and findings, I request all the applicants to do their own due diligence.


26 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Sana,

Can you please send me Genesis's number.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous said...

If I am right, 26677846-47

harsh said...

thanks a ton sana :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sana,

What is a good GMAT score for a TOP 10 US MBA and where to get caoaching for it in delhi. I am working with a TOP It company and do nt find time to prepare. So perhaps I wil take off and get coaching for it.



regards

baba

Sana said...

Hi Saurabh, Princeton Review and jamboree are good places. You can speak with both of them and evaluate which one goes for you.

Good luck for your preparation.

Cheers!
Sana

Unknown said...

Hi Sana,

Thanks for the info, but what is a good GMAT score for a TOP MBA school ?

Would you recommend any books ?

I read you post on pagalguy, have got some good info from there. Do u have some online material like PDF's and word docs for preparation, if yes, i will be greatful if you can share them. my address is baaabaaa@gmail.com

best o luck for your applications

thanks.

Regards,

baba

Sana said...

Saurabh, As I understand getting through top schools is a game of presenting the best application and GMAT is just a part of the story.Also depends upon a profile like Indian/M/IT may need something to the tune of 730+ whereas a doc will be fine with 650+.

Yeah, I have tried to stock some material. You can go to the resources section of the group:

http://groups.google.com/group/target2008admits?lnk=srg

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sana, I think I need to hurry up with my GMAT for third round of applications.

Please approve my membership to the group.

hasnath said...

How has the ApexWriters service been so far.

Sana said...

Hey Hasnath,

I am happy with ApexWriters.Com. I interact with current students and alumni and my essays are improving substantially, what is improving more is my application strategy ;-).

Cheers!
Sana

Chacko said...

Hi Sana

Does Apexwriters help in shortlisting the B-Schools? Can you share your strategy in shortlisting schools?

Anoop

Chacko said...

Can I have your email id/ phone number? I needed some clarifications and I think your the best to answer them.

Thanks
Anoop Chacko

Sana said...

Hi Anoop,

You can e-mail me at mbadirect@gmail.com. I shall definitely try to answer, give me 2 days please.

Cheers!
Sana

Anonymous said...

sana, you're right.
i was a reapplicant to ISB and took help from apexwriters. these guys are very good at strategy and editing. since i was reapplying, i thought that my million dollars vs knighthood essay was superb. after discussing with an isb alum, i changed the complete tone of the essay. the editing was great. i think just because of this one essay, i received interview offer though last time i did not.
for others who are applying to isb this round, the million dollars/knighthood essay is paramount. my original essay was innovative but childish. it has to be professional choice... shouldnt sound like someone who has never handled money before. if it's not sophisticated, you cant make it to ISB. there are too many applicants who sound childish. hoep enough of my blah blah.

thanks sana for suggesting this sevice

Anonymous said...

Actually I recently used essay editing services of www.essaysformba.com, for few US schools that I am applying to. My impression was that these kind of services only provide an arms length 'consulting advice', but was surprised by the amount of work and effort these guys put into my original drafts (and they had this 50% moneyback if not satisfied thingy). Incidently, I had 3 essays that I started with and sent each of these to separate essay editing services; that way I could find out the sheer difference in quality (though wasted some money this way :(). Seems these guys are all from Tier 1 institutes who've themselves been through the grind...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sana,

Thanks for this great post. it really helped me in taking decision.

Which service did you take from ApexWriters? Thery charge 15300 for whole package per application. Pretty expensive. What rate did you get?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sana,
Which admission consultant is best when it comes to application process from end-to-end.
I have met Genesis and Jamboree, and I agree with your opinion on them to a large extent. Leaving aside the cost factor, which consultant do you think is the best.(Top 20 B-School Admission)

Sana said...

Vineet, I took help in one Gp1 school and then enrolled for three more schools. Mine was their 'regular editing' package.

Sana said...

Raj,

There are many consultants and I did not get the chance to evaluate all of them. I evaluated a few and went with Apex. I found them professional and knowledgeable. Pls do your search to know these consultants better.

Luck,
Sana

anamika said...

Hi Sana...
m through with GMAT...planning to apply for ISB R1.
hw has your exp. been wid apexwriters...is it worth the money ?

thanks in advance,
Shivani

Sana said...

Anamika,

Mine was a fruitful experience with ApexWriters.
Please do your due diligence before you go with any consultant.

Cheers!
- Sana

Anonymous said...

I think try www.essaysandsop.com which I took this year.These people helped me in identifying the college and brainstormed my whole strategy of choosing a great college. there after they are working so hard for my UCLA and ISB essays.

Last year I couldn't convert the ISB but this time may be....

RDX said...

hey sana

your blog got me interested in apexwriters but dint you find them expensive? these chaps are quoting INR 28-29K for my 2 applications (ISB and CBS) while the schools themselves are charging me less than INR 15k! Btw, how do you get to know if these chaps are genuine or not?

Scorpio05 said...

I had very bad experience with essaysandsop.com. I took their services in July'08.
I paid $1840 for 6 schools. They are very irresponsible, unprofessional and unaccountable.
My first Shock was when i didn’t get the UCLA essays on time. I was waiting till last moment. Never heard from him. Didn’t' get my essays and couldn't apply to the school!!!
I opened dispute with paypal, and Essaysandsop.com promised to deliver all essays on time in future. Here is the snapshot of my experience

MIT - I got only half of the essays. I kept waiting for rest, but never got them
YALE - never got the essays. Excuse was that they forgot. I missed the deadline.
Berkeley – I Again kept massaging him to at least let me know, if he cannot deliver on time. But he never replied, never delivered. I missed he deadline again.
Darden - I didn't get one of the essays. I kept waiting for it, but never got. Missed it again.
Duke - Got them at last moment. Not satisfied with essays. It was very generic. Essay… You cannot make out if it’s for duke!!
Kenan Flagler - Go them at last moment. Not satisfied with the quality, I didn’t use them, rather preferred to write my own at last moment.

Finally I mailed paypal again. Due to their irresponsible attitude, I missed many deadlines for my application and at the verge of loosing 1 year. They definitely cannot undo he damages they have done. But would request PAYPAL, to help me get the refunds for the services they NEVER provided and would appreciate, if Paypal could flag them or take any other necessary actions to prevent future customers from getting trapped in this kind of business where they would loose money and also their valuable time.

Caution! If you at all hire him or any consultant, don’t pay in advance. Ask for his phone number (he never gave me phone number even after repeated request). Verify his credentials through alumna links( All US schools directory search have hi facility). When they claim hat our essays will be reviewed by UCLA/Duke..etc admits. or claim hey have admits to particular school. Don’t trust!!!.. Ask for the name and verify!!

Don’t get in the trap…and don’t loose ur valuable time and money by frauds!!


Good luck!!!!

Mani said...

Hi guys,
How about the Apphelp services.

Dilip said...

Which ever editing service you use - please DONT use VIBRANTURE.
It claims to be the best but is very unprofessional, indifferent, uselessly expensive and did not add any significant value.